"What could possibly make her pinchy about St. Patrick's Day," you might ask. You should know better. I can be pinchy about anything.
For instance, why isn't it considered offensive to those of Irish ancestry that a holiday or feast day dedicated to the patron saint of Ireland is primarily associated with drinking? And not just social drinking, but drinking on a level normally associated with Shrove Tuesday, or, better known to the libertine heathens as Mardi Gras? I mean, drinking large quantities of crappy beer is bad enough for the liver, but compound the problem by making that same liver filter out all the food coloring poured in to make that beer green, huh?
And imagine how I feel when Columbus Day, the one day dedicated not just to an Italian, but an Italian who discovered the Americas sort of, is met with at best ambivalence, and at normalcy, noisy protests by Latinos and Indians. Nobody says "Hey, it's Columbus Day! Everyone's Italian on Columbus Day!" or "Kiss me; I'm Sicilian!" Well, OK , I guess a kiss from a Sicilian might make some people nervous, thanks to Hollywood stereotypes, but you know what I'm saying. No one lifts a Peroni on Columbus Day.
No comments:
Post a Comment