I'm out of sympathy.
And what bad timing! The holidays are coming up and a tidal wave of "bad luck" is bearing down on us. But so it is; I've had my heartstrings frayed from too much demand and now I'm just dispassionately watching like a sociopath as the horrorshow warms up.
I won't use a tricolor filter on my Facebook photo to show support for the French. In response, an imaginary Parisian spits on the ground at my feet and finishes it with a heavily-accented "Fuck you".
I shrug. Whatever. The last time something like this happened, I was pretty upset, but that was before the murdered cartoonists were blamed. What the fuck? James Taylor hadn't even soured his last note on "You've Got a Friend" before the argument stopped being about religious intolerance and began entertaining limitations on artistic expression instead.
The bodies of this latest massacre haven't been buried yet, but Secretary of State John Kerry made a nuanced argument for the murder of cartoonists while admitting a failure to understand the complexities behind a slaughter of concertgoers. Kerry may have stopped short of excusing the bloodbath as an Islamist's literal interpretation of "Eagles of Death Metal", but not before anyone noticed what a raging douchenozzle he could be. Fuck you, John Kerry.
I know the French have no big love for me, anyway. I'm an American, a barbaric and uncultured redneck who doesn't understand the world. My understanding right now is that the French aren't serious about kicking the shit out of terrorists, and that means more French will be murdered. I feel badly about this, but then again I don't, because the French don't really feel badly enough about that to do something truly constructive. Or, destructive, as the case more accurately should be.
We had a pretty horrific attack here on September 11, 2001. "Never Forget", say the T-shirts, bumper stickers and other memorabilia. Today, college campuses reject the placement of 9/11 memorial flags on their grounds, citing reasons that range from "they might damage the sprinkler systems" to "my ancestors are buried here" and "it might provoke racism". Better not to remember the sort of people who attacked us and what ideology led to the attacks, and how that might just maybe be connected to what's still happening. Fuck you, college campuses.
Speaking of college campuses...I'm out of sympathy for college students and their micro-problems. Their massive voluntarily-accepted student loans for worthless degrees, their hurt feelings caused by challenges to ideas in the rare instances where challenges happen, and their insistence that a consensual but regretted, casual affair with a co-ed must lead to reporting him as a rapist years after the fact, with no due process. I'm out of sympathy for their future un-employability. I have no sympathy for their coming dependence on therapy. I'm convinced that part of the impetus toward adulthood and independence is a desire to get out of diapers and get out from under smothering parents. But I've been wrong. Too many kids want to stay dependent and not wrestle with responsibility. What's bound to be around the corner is going to scar their delicate minds and fragile egos, and there is not enough diazepam covered under the Affordable Care Act to fix it. You're the "future leaders"? Great. Fuck you, fragile fascists on college campuses.
I don't have sympathy for most Syrian refugees. There, I said it. Most of them are ungrateful guests in their host countries, demanding free stuff and halal food, leaving behind garbage and raping local women. Sure there are some women and children among the masses, and I can't remove sympathy for them completely. They're victims of the Syrian men as much as local populations are. But it's the overwhelming presence of young "combat-age" men making up these migrants that causes issues. Many of them intend to bring family if they are settled somewhere. Within a few years, a country's population will go past the tipping point, become over 15% Muslim, and intolerance of other cultures and religions will become the norm. They don't want to assimilate. Worst guests ever. They hate Western culture, except for the pornography and the cars and the easy access to wi-fi. If they're going to be lousy guests, they're going to be even worse as citizens. Fuck you, ungrateful invasionary force of intolerant barbarians. Fuck you too, virtue-signaling leaders of countries who put the interests of "migrants" over the people who elected you. Do you get a weird vibe when you see a streetlamp? I hope so.
I don't have any sympathy for the shopping malls and the big-box stores that are probably going to be hit with protests on Black Friday. The "Black Lives Matter" movement has expressed major butt-hurtness over attention being diverted to Paris recently, and they want it back. Besides, "Black Friday" is a derogatory term, even if some people love the excuse to flee their relatives after Thanksgiving in order to take advantage of the deals on electronics. It's a micro-aggression. It will continue to be a micro-aggression and chafe at the sores of oppression until Best Buy agrees to give annual donations to the National Action Network and deep discounts on electronics to all black students with a valid student ID.
Y'all should've known this was coming, retailers. Are you contingency-planning right now? Are your lawyers in formation? 'Cause you won't get sympathy from me when the mobs rush in and start accosting your customers, shouting profanities in front of crying children and breaking your displays. "Tis the season to be jolly, fa fa-fa fa FA, fa-fa fuck yoooooo."
My anger is the outward manifestation of a really deep love that doesn't know how to express itself better. That's what a therapist would say if I was going to one. I sense horrible things coming and point them out, only to be called a racist, a xenophobe, an oppressor and a cis-gendered heteronormative apologist.
Wait- was that last one an insult? I didn't really understand what the hell I was accused of being. Fuck it, who cares?
Maybe the "spirit of Christmas" will descend amid a surprise snowfall and "touch (my) heart with the magic of Christmas" like I have heard on TV ads since the day after Halloween. Or, maybe like Christ Jesus VS Moneychangers, I have reached my limit and won't accept any more insults.
I believe Christianity is a force for good and is worth fighting for. I believe that free speech is vital to a democracy and offensive speech should be protected just like any other. I believe that when "tolerance" is merely a cover for cowardice in the face of oppression, it is no virtue but a vice. A lot of people have chosen to reject these ideas, and the consequences are going to hurt a lot more people than just the ones who caused them.
No comments:
Post a Comment