Saturday, May 11, 2013

An Open Letter to Clergy Regarding "Gun Control".



During the first several weeks following the tragic shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary, my Episcopal diocesan leadership joined the hue and cry for gun control. At the same time, my State government passed some truly bad legislation called "the SAFE Act". Very few legislators actually read the bill which was overwhelmingly passed in a great big hurry 147-61, days after the start of a new legislative session.

  I read statements from Episcopal leaders regarding gun control and started to become irritated, and then alarmed by the rhetoric. This letter was a response sent by me to my local Bishop, and to The Very Reverend Gary Hall, Dean of Washington National Cathedral. Since I have not been given the courtesy of a reply, I am now publishing this as an open letter, with personal information redacted.

It is my hope that others who value our 2nd Amendment rights will respectfully challenge their clergy as warranted.

January 27, 2013


The Right Reverend Lawrence Provenzano
Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Long Island
36 Cathedral Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530-4435

Dear Father Provenzano,
After prayerful consideration, I am writing to you on a matter that concerns me deeply. I sincerely hope you will read and consider my meditations.
I am relatively new to the Episcopal Church, but feel blessed to be part of it. I was confirmed in October of 2007, a month before my wedding. That confirmation was a remarkable joy to my parish as we had among ourselves many more confirmands and persons to be received than in years past. I was delighted to be able to participate by delivering the Old Testament reading, Isaiah 61, before the full Cathedral. Our parish group was first to be received, and as the first of the first to approach the Bishop, I was anointed with the Sanctum Chrisma. My fiancé was present to lay his hand on me as I was joined to the church.
I took the special blessing and my confirmation vows seriously and got right to work. I joined our parish vestry, served on committees, worked for fundraisers, and taught Sunday school. I recently began serving as a Lay Eucharistic Minister. I attend mass regularly, and do my Christian duty to the best of my ability by serving others, and by representing both Christians and Christ in a world which seems increasingly to care less about both. Throughout my daily life and work I ask myself what it is God’s will and for him to make it known to me if my works find favor in His sight.
I try to be an informed and active voter, and always seek Christ’s guidance on my decisions. I am a shooting sports enthusiast, a law-abiding American citizen, and a member of the National Rifle Association. As such, I cannot adequately describe how troubled I am by the tone taken by some of the Church leadership recently concerning the lawful exercise of my constitutional right to own a firearm.
There are Episcopalian and Christian gun owners of all denominations, and I can say with certainty that every single one of them is keenly interested in helping to eliminate violence. I can also say with almost the same degree of confidence that given some of the derogatory statements made about firearm ownership, each of these gun owners feels that his voice is not only not valued, but unwanted. For all the talk of dialogue, debate and deliberation, too frequently all that occurs is demonization and demagoguery. The honest search for solutions is being shoved aside in the pursuit of fulfilling a narrow-minded agenda. Your statements contribute to this unfortunate state of affairs.
In August of 2012 you issued a statement about gun violence in our area of New York. You stated that “No one has the right to carry a gun for the purpose of unleashing its power on another human being,” not considering the point that it is primarily criminals who use guns to settle disputes, steal property, and otherwise prey upon others. I am not prepared to offer an apology here for self defense and there are others who can do so with more information and eloquence than I have. I will state, however, that I firmly believe that the sanctity of life requires that it be defended when necessary. Thus, the law-abiding citizen, Christian or otherwise, when able to navigate the necessary permit process will sometimes carry a firearm in order to defend himself and others against criminals who have no concern for the law or for human life.
Your statement pronounces it “illegal, immoral and sinful” to carry a weapon. This statement is troublesome for several reasons.  First, granted the necessary permit, it is within a person’s legal right to possess or carry a weapon. One may argue that a legal action is immoral or sinful, but certainly it is legal. Further, I cannot believe it is immoral or sinful merely to possess a firearm. God created us as creatures of free will, and almost any object can be used as a weapon. Is it reasonable to say that certain inanimate objects are manifestly sinful or immoral? Or is morality more a matter of how an object is used?  I also cannot believe that self defense, when necessary, is sinful.  Christ gave himself over to violence and death for our sins so that those who believe might have everlasting life. His teachings, however, do not suggest that believers are somehow required to surrender their own lives or the lives of others when confronted with violence. I cannot accept that defense of innocent life is somehow sinful.
You also said that the end to gun violence is to be brought about by an end to guns. Even if all guns and the knowledge of their manufacture miraculously disappeared from the Earth, people would go back to using swords and clubs if not sticks and stones. Gun violence would certainly end in the absence of guns, but violence itself would not end. Violence is a problem as old as Cain and Abel, and because the causes are so complex and the will to dispense justice is so weak, the easy road of demonizing the law-abiding gun owner is all too often taken. This is a most deplorable mistake.
It has not escaped the commentary of many people in the blogosphere and other online sources that the Episcopal church has seen membership decline steeply over the last few decades due to various policy stances, and this is regrettable given the number of hands needed to do Christ’s work. There is a heated exchange going on currently at the Episcopal News Exchange’s comment area and elsewhere. How many gun owners are sitting in the pews, trying to justify their continued membership and service in an organization that, based on statements such as yours, apparently not only doesn’t want them, but also thinks they suffer from some kind of psychological, moral, and mental defects? How are they supposed to choose between supporting the Church and the abrogation of their rights?  Is this the next in a series of schisms to further chip away at the body? This vehemently anti-gun tone taken by the Episcopal Church is divisive, wrong, and can only serve to alienate members and others from the Church.
I recognize that I am but one member of Christ’s community, and that not everyone will agree with my opinions. Differences are natural and part of the process of discerning God’s will. Inconsiderate criticism of whole segments of the Church and general population, however, is unreasonable. I take offense at the implication that I am somehow less of a Christian and perhaps a defective human being because I enjoy shooting sports and take a stand for my right to defend myself. And I am not the only one who feels this way.
I encourage you to consider my perspective and rethink some of the divisive statements you have made concerning firearms and firearm ownership. Addressing the issue of violence is unquestionably part of the Church’s mission, but this cause is not served by ill-conceived criticism of moral, law-abiding people who choose to exercise their right to keep and bear firearms.

Respectfully,
TC

No comments:

Post a Comment